Thanksgiving is very much an American (and Canadian!) holiday, but the entire concept of being thankful, and spending the day with family, friends, and good food, is something we can all relate to.
I’m thankful for a lot this year. Mostly, I’m thankful that I’ll be moving home, after years overseas, next month.
But keeping with the blog theme, here are a few bookish things that I’m thankful for this November (in no particular order):
1. The opportunity to blog. I love that I can do something I enjoy, and talk about my favorite books. It’s not something I ever imagined I could do, so I’m eternally thankful for the chance!
2. Authors on social media. For a book blogger, authors are our celebrities. But unlike the musicians and actors in Hollywood, readers have the ability to interact on twitter or blogs with the authors they love. Getting an @ reply from Leigh Bardugo or a ‘like’ from Neil Gaiman can have me grinning for hours!
3. Christmas themed books. I LOVE THEM! I don’t even celebrate Christmas, but I am so thankful for holiday themed romances. They’re seriously so lovely and sweet and they warm me up inside 😀 (I’ve recently discovered a few Hanukkah romances, but haven’t managed to purchase any yet.)
4. The amazing people I’ve met from blogging. Daniela @ Books to Get Lost In, Aentee @ Read at Midnight, and The Galaxial Word, and everyone else, thank you for being so kind to me and helping me feel welcome as a book blogger!
5. Books about food. Okay, I’m just really hungry right now, thinking about Thanksgiving dinner.
6. On that note… Food. Yeah, it’s off topic, but I tend to read while eating so I can stretch this one to fit. I get two Thanksgivings this year… lunch at the mess hall, and then dinner with friends. (Another thing to be thankful for: knowing people here who have houses!)
7. Books that let adults be kids. I’m thankful for adult coloring books, the entire YA genre, and books with pictures (like the gorgeous new Harry Potter editions). Being a grown up can be tough, so I’m thankful for when I can be a bit immature.
8. Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I can’t resist the lure of a good sale. Especially when that sale involves books. Barnes & Noble has an online and in-store sale starting 11/26, Amazon had lightning deals all week, and various online retailers jump in with great deals. (Look, the Book Depository is getting in on it!)
9. I’m also ridiculously thankful for new books coming out in December. Because the next month before I get to fly home are going to be torture, and I’m excited to have milestones to look forward to before the exciting finale of my year!
10. In the end, I’m just thankful to have the life that I do. I’ve lived in some crazy, amazing places. I get to read fantastic books about characters and lifestyles that my parents and grandparents would never have dreamed about. I can talk to people with similar interests who live in Australia or Europe or America. I’m just thankful for all of it. So thanks, universe. Keep on doing what you’re doing!
Drop me a comment and let me know what you’re thankful for.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!