Wood, by Jordan Castillo Price
Series: PsyCop #3.2
Publisher: JCP Books
Release Date: February 23, 2016
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
A 3,000 word short story set in the PsyCop series. You should read Books 1-3 prior to reading this story.
Victor Bayne might not be handy when it comes to carpentry, but if there’s one tool he does know how to wield, it’s the tiny metal doohickey that comes with ready-to-assemble furniture from SaverPlus.
The shelves aren’t for the cannery—Vic would never manage to sneak cheap pressboard and veneer past Jacob’s watchful eyes. Jacob’s Uncle Leon, however, is nowhere near as fussy. And since he’s only got one arm, he’ll need help putting together his new treasure.
It’s no surprise to find the instructions baffling and convoluted…but were they always so disturbingly dirty?
Gay M/M Romance
I’m always overjoyed to get new PsyCop stories, and this little treat for Vic’s birthday was a really hilarious look into his relationship with Jacob.
It’s hard to please a native Chicagoan with pizza made anywhere else, but pizza’s a lot like sex. I’d stop what I’m doing even for mediocre pizza.
What I loved:
- The comfort that Vic and Jacob have, and the way they so clearly trust each other.
- Vic being eager to experience new things, like helping family out when they need a hand. (Pun only sort of intended.)
- Jordan made me laugh several times with the (admittedly cheesy) innuendo.
- The sex is always so well-written in a JCP novel, but Vic and Jacob are so in tune with one another that the sex is just a natural extension of their characters.
I’m continually impressed by how Jordan’s short stories always add something to her characters. They’re never just anecdotes, but instead offer more insight and depth into her characters’ lives and thoughts.
Jordan Castillo Price is the author of several incredible series! Her characters aren’t hunks and billionaires, they’re normal guys in less-than-normal situations. Her paranormal M/M series are definitely among my all-time favorites:
- The PsyCop Series: Once upon a time if you told doctors you heard voices, they’d diagnose you as schizophrenic… Nowadays they test you first to see if you’re psychic.
- Channeling Morpheus: Gritty, urban vampire tales.(My Series Spotlight)
- The Mnevermind Trilogy: Making memories… one client at a time.
Jordan Castillo Price writes paranormal sci-fi thrillers colored by her time in the midwest, from inner city Chicago, to rural small town Wisconsin, to liberal Madison. She is best known as the author of the PsyCop series. Also check out her new series, Mnevermind, where memories are made…one client at a time.
Buy Wood (and other JCP novels) from one of these retailers:
I received an advanced copy of this novel in exchange for a fair and honest review.